UK MD, Digital
The Job in brief
An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a highly talented digital and social media communications specialist to lead and grow BCW’s digital and integrated business in the UK. This is a senior role leading BCW’s London Hub team - which encompasses digital, social, data/analytics, creative, strategy, design, and brand experience specialisms – and will spearhead the design and delivery of innovative, integrated programmes across all practices.
This board level position will be dual focused with accountability for the UK Hub team, and working to develop and lead breakthrough programmes for a diverse portfolio of clients such as Pfizer, Colgate-Palmolive and Campari, to name just a few. The role will also encompass the cultivation of new business opportunities within BCW, the WPP network and through external networks. As BCW London goes from strength to strength as a centre of excellence in digital and integrated communications, this position will also act as a key partner to the MD of Digital Innovation & Integrated Media (Europe & Africa) in building out and scaling the agency’s capabilities and offering across the region.
We are looking for a candidate that demonstrates a true entrepreneurial spirit, who thrives on business development and is passionate about being considered an exceptional client counsellor. The successful candidate will act as a link between practices and marketsas the UK digital champion working in partnership with BCW practices to unlock client opportunities in a seemingly effortless way, and in collaboration with other BCW markets, as appropriate. We are seeking a creative digital evangelist and practitioner who has their finger on the pulse of the most impactful innovations in the digital and social space – from AI to Voice. The successful candidate will have the ability to partner with ambitious clients to move into new territories for digital communication and innovation. In parallel, they will require the passion and empathy to be at the forefront of the agency’s on-going digital transformation, supporting colleagues and clients alike who are taking their first steps in the digital arena. Likewise, this role requires an inspiring team leader and collaborator with a track record and ability to turn their hand to thought leadership; the development of new products, services and propositions; senior client counsel and new business.
- Overall leadership of the UK Hub team of 25+ spanning specialists in digital, social, data/analytics, creative, strategy, design, and brand experience
- Senior Management Responsibility - An active contribution is made to the successful running of the Hub business in the UK.
- Strategic Communications & Counsel – The Head of Digital will be a key source of trusted strategic advice by clients, practice colleagues and account leads
- Portfolio management and profitability- Client portfolios are managed in line with revenue and structural expectations and meet profitability targets and other appropriate KPIs.
- Talent Management - Employee team resources are proactively managed and supported for optimum profitability and client service.
- Strategic business planning – Staffing, fiscal year plan, building the team, showcasing capabilities.
- Thought Leadership – Ensure keeping up to date knowledge as sector specialisation attracts and retains blue chip brands.
- Profile Reputation – Raising the Hub’s profile within the agency, WPP and externally.
- Working with our leadership to develop a tailored digital training programme the agency, to spearhead our further acquisition and execution of integrated work.
- Work with heads of department to develop product & service offerings including practice-specific offerings and consistent digital/social ways of working applicable to all teams.
- Support practice teams to maximise the amplification and reach of PR and content-led programmes through the full spectrum of digital channels and online opportunities.
- Responsibility for reviewing existing workstreams and understanding the opportunities and where changes needs to be made, with the support of senior leadership across the agency.
- Play an active role within the Global Digital Innovation Group, a global ommunity of BCW specialists, and ensure market representation when it comes to ensuring knowledge transfer and sharing of best practice in addition to opportunity spotting.
- Act as key member within the UK Board and partake in key planning decisions related to the BCW London office including but not limited to: review of current organic and new business growth opportunities, resource mapping, organisational planning, etc.
- Existing Clients
- Work with top account teams in each market to identify opportunities to deliver greater impact and results, broaden our scope of work, and increase account revenue through digital/social media strategies
- Participate in annual planning for select accounts and strategic planning for the Hub team
- Meet with existing clients, representing senior strategic digital expertise
- Cultivate external marketplace visibility at events and through thought leadership
- Help account teams identify the right digital resources for programme execution
- New Business
- Lead digital insights, strategy and ideation for top new business pitches
- Identify and mobilise appropriate digital resources in each market
- Work with the lead office/team to shape the digital elements of the programme
- Work with our design/development partners to bring the digital concepts to life
- Present in the pitch, as appropriate
- Collaborate with market leaders to develop strategies and proactively target brands we want to win
Key Experience and Skills
- Acknowledged senior strategic expert in the field of Digital, Social Media and Influencer Marketing.
- Digital integration – must be an expert at talking to clients and partners about digital and technical opportunities, and driving work that helps BCW demonstrate that we put digital life at the centre of our ideas and communications, with a strong focus on integration.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of how to work with digital influencers and forge ongoing relationships, create buzz, and increase client share-of-voice.
- Experience in managing complex fast paced situations successfully.
- Ambitious and entrepreneurial with a robust, determined and hands-on approach.
- Must be resilient and be capable of coping with the continuous challenges of the role.
- Self-motivated attitude blended with impressive interpersonal skills.
- Enhance team productivity through coaching, regular constructive feedback, process improvement and effective leadership
- Sound commercial insight with a strong track record in business planning.
- Ability to communicate digital and social programmes and campaigns, and measurement to clients in simple format.
- Develop product and service offerings including practice-specific offerings and consistent digital/social ways of working applicable to all teams.
- Support practice teams to maximise the amplification and reach of PR and content-led programmes using paid media, including social advertising and content syndication.
- Experienced Digital campaign planner within an agency or inhouse environment.
- Develop strong relationships with technology partners and social media platforms to identify potential areas of collaboration to support client work and new business
- Understanding of digital content and search optimization and expertise in measurement and web analysis
- An impressive track record in new business planning and conversion.
BCW is one of the world’s largest, full-service, global communications agencies with deep expertise in digital and integrated communications, across all industry sectors. The firm is a result of the merger of Burson-Marsteller and Cohn & Wolfe in February 2018 and has expertise in providing digitally-driven, creative content and integrated communications across consumer, public affairs, corporate and crisis management, technology, healthcare and research.
BCW has a network of more than 4,000 employees, across 42 countries, and the London office is second largest in the group.
We are a thriving and hard-working team and we pride ourselves on our supportive culture. We like to be challenged, to learn new things and to constantly develop ourselves. We enjoy bringing different people into our team and celebrate our diversity – one size never fits all and a big part of our success is down to the breadth of skills that we offer.