The Job in brief
An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a highly talented digital and social media communications specialist. As digital director, this is a senior role within BCW’s London Hub team - which encompasses digital, creative and strategy specialisms – and will act as a key champion and facilitator to drive the UK’s digital and social business, designing and delivering innovative, integrated programmes across all practices.
The chosen candidate will be an expert in their field with the capability to develop and deliver impactful digital and social media strategies; taking responsibility for complete tactical implementation of client activity; providing high value client servicing and optimising the profitability of accounts.
The role will be expected to work with others across the company to produce the best possible results for clients, providing an integrated service and being a leader in all things digital. This includes working to develop and lead breakthrough programmes for a diverse portfolio of clients such as Pfizer, Colgate-Palmolive and Campari, to name just a few. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with ambitious clients to move them into new territories for digital communication and innovation. In parallel, they will require the passion and empathy to drive the agency’s on-going digital transformation, supporting colleagues and clients alike who are taking their first steps in the digital arena.
Responsibilities will also include acting as a critical member of the UK Hub Leadership team, supporting the Hub MD in business planning and review, with a laser focus on profitability, alongside the successful planning and progression of the team.
- Strategic communications and counsel - The Director is seen as the primary source of trusted strategic advice by the client and is responsible for ensuring that we are stretching the value we bring into new areas which reflect our open source ethos and way of working at all times to surprise and delight clients.
- Portfolio management and profitability- Client portfolios are managed in line with revenue and structural expectations and meet profitability targets and other appropriate KPIs.
- Networking & new business- New revenue streams are proactively identified through existing and new business opportunities and ownership and leadership is taken to develop and deliver responses to new business opportunities.
- Client relationship management- Strategic client relationship management results in client retention and growth. Client retention targets are proactively and strategically managed.
- Strategic vision, able to demonstrate experience of decoding complicated briefs and translating into digitally driven ideation and delivery.
- Working in partnership with BCW’s UK Leadership to enhance and grow our offer around digital, social and creative work working closely with our Creative Director on the latter.
- Working with the Hub leadership team and practice-level senior management to develop a tailored digital training programme the agency, in order to spearhead the agency’s further acquisition and execution of integrated work.
- Nurture and develop digital talent and support ongoing ‘digitalisation’ of BCW through a commitment to training & support of organisational development across the various practices.
- Responsibility for reviewing existing workstreams and understanding the opportunities and identifying where changes needs to be made, with the support of senior leadership across the agency.
- Hub Leadership Responsibility- An active contribution to the successful running of the business with senior management level contribution including monthly resource planning, recruitment, new business planning and overall team progression and solution tackling.
- Strategic business planning – supporting The Hub MD with staffing and fiscal year planning, building the team, showcasing capabilities.
- WPP & External – Raising the profile of The Hub in support of MD
- Resourcing – owner of staff planning.
- Involvement in monthly business review process with company leaders.
- Play a key role within the Global Digital Innovation Group and ensure market representation when it comes to ensuring knowledge transfer and sharing of best practice in addition to opportunity spotting.
- Business Development (Existing Clients)
- Work with priority account teams in each practice to identify opportunities to deliver greater impact and results, broaden our scope of work, and increase account revenue through digital/social media strategies
- Proactively cross sell existing skills; up sell skills; networking within clients to identify and establish new clients and opportunities with existing clients
- Deliver company creds knowledgeably, showing an in depth understanding of the agency’s full offering and capabilities.
- Help account teams identify the right digital resources for programme execution
- New Business
- Work with senior leadership to identify new opportunities in existing accounts, as well as lead on prospecting for new business and developing and delivering credentials to prospects. Developing strategy and presenting to capitalise on new business opportunities.
- Identify and mobilise appropriate digital resources within the London team when needed
- Lead digital pitch team (s) and digital ideation for integrated proposals as needed – working with the practice leads: both at strategic and project management level
- Acknowledged senior strategic expert in the field of Digital, Social Media and Influencer Marketing.
- Cultural curiosity, with a deep and abiding interest in the patterns and trends that are shaping local culture and appreciation for what that means for BCW, clients, brands and consumers.
- True Digital integrator, must be an expert at talking to clients and partners about digital and technical opportunities, and can drive work that helps BCW demonstrate that we put digital life at the centre of our ideas and communications, with a strong focus on integration, and drive new revenue streams.
- Proactive and someone who jumps in to do what needs to be done and works as part of a team, as well as seeing the big picture and determining where to make investments for future opportunities.
- Account profitability experience of how to maintain account profitability through effective team service levels, time analysis and direct cost recovery, and part of the leadership team to determine actions to take.
- Strong project management skills and experience (budget, scope, time, risk & quality management) across large, multi-national accounts and projects.
- Improve team productivity through coaching, regular constructive feedback, process improvement and effective leadership.
- Support the account teams to identify the right digital resources for programme execution.
- Work with our design/development partners to bring the digital concepts to life.
- Work with heads of department to develop product & service offerings including practice-specific offerings and consistent digital/social ways of working applicable to all teams.
- Demonstrate expert understanding and experience of how to work with digital influencers to build ongoing relationships, generate buzz, and increase client share-of-voice.
- Support practice teams to maximise the amplification and reach of PR and content-led programmes through the full spectrum of digital channels and online opportunities.
- Develop strong relationships with technology partners and social media platforms to identify potential areas of collaboration to support client work and new business
- Strong experience working in an Associate or Director level role within digital communications within agency or in-house – or ideally a combination.
- Well versed in delivering often-complex digital solutions and through your experience will be able to talk knowledgeably about the approach without relying on others
- Demonstrable experience of managing clients and their projects independently, successfully and profitably
- Outstanding track record of building and sustaining strong client relationships and managing a range of digital media projects to a successful conclusion for both client and agency
- Excellent understanding of the digital development process including communication strategy, creative and technical.
- Ability to communicate digital and social programmes and campaigns, and measurement to clients in simple format.
- Personal Characteristics
- Decisive but diplomatic
- Respectful and honest and able to deliver feedback to all levels
- Able to get the best from different types of people
- Confident, approachable and knowledgeable, inspiring confidence in others.
- Commercially aware, with an ability to capitalise on business opportunities.
- Experience of leading and building effective teams
BCW is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all backgrounds. At BCW, we believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce enables our agency to thrive and deliver brilliant work. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or citizenship status.
BCW is one of the world’s largest, full-service, global communications agencies with deep expertise in digital and integrated communications, across all industry sectors. The firm is a result of the merger of Burson-Marsteller and Cohn & Wolfe in February 2018 and has expertise in providing digitally-driven, creative content and integrated communications across consumer, public affairs, corporate and crisis management, technology, healthcare and research.
BCW has a network of more than 4,000 employees, across 42 countries, and the London office is second largest in the group.
We are a thriving and hard-working team and we pride ourselves on our supportive culture. We like to be challenged, to learn new things and to constantly develop ourselves. We enjoy bringing different people into our team and celebrate our diversity – one size never fits all and a big part of our success is down to the breadth of skills that we offer.